Gardening in a Small Space

Growing 500 pounds of food in a SMALL space. Who's with us?

Monday, April 12, 2010

Visualize World Peas


There is nothing like the first planting of the year. Seriously, I feel so accomplished and I barely did anything but boss folks around. I did soak the seeds over night, that should count for something.

The pea seeds were actually soaked a week ago but then I went into the wilds of Michigan with the express direction to my husband to plant them while I was gone. I'm sorry to throw my main man under the bus but said seeds were not planted but rotting in a cup on my counter when I got back. Yuck-tastic.

I regrouped, soaked the leftover seeds for 24 hours and then delegated power. BP, my husband (and love of my life), dug my two little trenches (1 1/2 inches deep) and SP put the pretty little seeds 2 inches apart. I'm being the guinea pig in our neighborhood crew. We wanted to do peas last year but we just got overwhelmed with garden plans that the date to plant passed us by. Spring and fall are best to plant peas so I'm taking a little piece of my small space to try them out.

Now I am worried about the whole trellis thing. If any of my five followers (count um' five) have any hints on this situation. I want to know what works best and then I'll share my findings.

I also prepared my dirt from last year with a mixture of manure and humus. I also put in some granulated lime. I hope I haven't "hooked up" my soil too much. Time will tell. Sometimes I'm so excited to plant I don't take the time to make my soil the best it can be. I hope I did better this year.

Why peas? BP makes a slammin' stir fry and these pea pods will pump it up a notch.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, Am, good luck with the pea project. I'm thinking you mean you used humus to enrich the soil and not hummus which is something I make rather well, just ask your sis, and which is best when spread on pita chips and not when mixed in the ground. But who knows? Maybe you'll revolutionize the gardens of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad was right. It is humus: organic material. I with I was revolutionary. Any trellis ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Dad was right because he asked Z which was which. Concerning the trellis, I was going to ask you what you planned to use, though I do remember seeing a very nice looking "tepee" of bamboo with mature peas covering it. It really looked nice in the garden. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I don't know what the eff humus is or what it does, but the title of your blog post gets mad props. I'm a sucker for a play on words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the trellis- Some people just put up two posts, one at each end of the row, and put up twine in between. So, think like a clothes line but with multiple lines, not just one. Does that make sense? It's easy to do and cheap and should work if you don't space the twines too far from each other. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll email you. Good luck with the peas! I can't wait to plant my garden. Gotta wait til the backyard is regraded. Poo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kelly-

    Thanks for the tip. I think I've seen something like this. The posts are just like posts you would use for tomatoes, right? They don't need to be thick. Do you think 3 strings across would do the trick?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen metal posts, like those for fences but, anything sturdy should do. As long as it can hold a bit of weight. I would start with one string down low and go from there. If it looks like the plants are going to be a lot of weight for the string, add more and place them close together. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete