Gardening in a Small Space

Growing 500 pounds of food in a SMALL space. Who's with us?

Sunday, June 3, 2012

There Once Was A Girl Who Loved Potatoes

I wish I could find the picture of myself at about 2 years old.  I'm in a highchair eating buttered potatoes, the butter dripping down my arms.  That began my love affair with potatoes.  I love them in anyway:  mashed, baked, roasted, scalloped, Au Gatun, twice baked, french fried, boiled.  It doesn't matter.  Yet there is nothing better than freshly dug up spuds.  My gardening guru, Mr. Greenstreet always said, "Eat them while their fresh.  If you don't, what's the point of growing them."

So what is a poor girl to do with limited space but a yen for a starchy tuber?  The Grow Bag.  Yes sir, for just $12.95 you too can grow a multitude of potatoes in your backyard.  And that's what we did.


We got our Grow Bags from Gardener's Supply.
 http://www.gardeners.com/Grow-Bags/GrowBags_Cat2,default,sc.html



So we bought Yukon Gold Seed Potatoes.

We first had to make sure the potatoes wouldn't rot so we cut them leaving the eyes.  We let them sit for a couple days and then they were ready to plant.

Cuffing the bags we filled them about 1/4 of the way.  We then put the seed potatoes, about 4 or 5 per bag, in the dirt making sure the eyes were up.

 The bottoms looked a little funky and old to me.  I'm not sure if this was a big deal but we cut them again leaving a fresh bottom.


Then we covered them up so that the soil came up about 3/4 of the way.  We then unfolded the bag and watered them thoroughly, making sure the water came through to the bottom of the bag.  We currently have four to five plants growing in each bag.  

I may not eat them in a highchair this time or with butter dripping down my arms but I will enjoy them non the less.

3 comments:

  1. Who are you kidding? You will TOTALLY have butter dripping down your arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously -- I have butter dripping down my arms just thinking about eating potatoes with butter dripping down my arms! Yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you look in my library bag? Growing potatoes was next on our list! I'm going to buy something else really expensive just for this:).

    ReplyDelete