Gardening in a Small Space

Growing 500 pounds of food in a SMALL space. Who's with us?

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hole-y Slugs, Batman!


So my plants are growing by leaps and bounds what with all the rainfall this spring.  And then I see this...


  So I put an all call out to my Facebook friends.  And three folks stepped up:  Helen, Todd and Shannon.  The word on the street is SLUGS.  Who knew?  I think of slugs creeping along my sidewalk leaving a slimy, shimmering gick.  Come to find out they will also crawl all over your plants, mostly at night leaving chaos and mayhem behind them.  Ok well, maybe not chaos and mayhem but definitely holes in my beloved greens.  Come to find out they not only love my green leafy plants but beer.  Or at least the yeast in the beer.  One of the top things recommended by several sites and the previously mentioned Shannon was setting out pie tins of cheap beer in your garden.  The tins will attract the slugs and they will dive right in.  Sadly, they will drown. I'm trying not to be squeamish as they will no longer pester my plants.  There seems to be some controversy whether the beer should be stale or fresh.  I think I'll go with fresh first time around.  I mean... it is their final meal.

So wish me luck tomorrow as I endeavour to take my slugs out on the town and get them drunk as skunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment