Gardening in a Small Space

Growing 500 pounds of food in a SMALL space. Who's with us?

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Path Less Traveled



 Well, in our case, this is becoming the path more easily traveled.  We struggled last year to get around to our beautiful veggies.  To the point where we didn’t harvest the way that we wanted because we couldn’t get to the good stuff.  Thus, I said a sad farewell to my birthday lilac bushes and we rebuilt boxes leaving a 2 ½ to 3-foot path around each box.
 
Not that you can tell from these pictures, we are going for an English garden look (not that I’ve ever stepped foot in an English garden).  We took the flat stone from our now vanquished, mosquito-breeding pond to become our path.  The task was not bad. We’d dig a little impression in the ground and set the stone in, making sure dirt was surrounding it.  We were able to complete the laying of stone in a nap time (3 hours:  I know mother’s everywhere are jealous).  Tomorrow, as my main man has promised, is when we will lay seed so that grass grows between the stone.  I’m a little nervous about this as grass when weed wacked and cut can lead to clippings in my garden boxes and more weeding work.  Sadly, I’m willing to risk it as I feel like the rock only path isn’t as cozy.  Maybe someone out there will prove me wrong.

So after tomorrow, we’ll sit back, have a spot of tea and watch the grass grow.


The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

-Robert Frost

**Stay tuned gardening geeks, May 5th is the Sheep and Wool Festival in Howard County Maryland.  Unsuspecting friends will be hijacked to go with us to get the most beautiful tomato plants EVER.
 


3 comments:

  1. Are you taking our cousin to S&WF???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sidenote - forget the grass. It'll be a pain. And once the garden gets growing, you'll have plenty of green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too late. Grass seed is down. Don't rain on my English garden parade.

    ReplyDelete